Why We Give
Three decades ago, Jordan Phillips, MD created a foundation focused on minimally invasive gynecological care because he wanted to improve as many lives as possible. Dr. Phillips understood that the cornerstone of a family’s overall health was access to quality gynecologic care and that care would also lead to improved health for children and families. Health is the bedrock of any thriving society. If a person’s health is compromised, it’s hard to concentrate on anything else. Having good health becomes a priority over everything else.
Thanks to Dr. Phillips, the Foundation of the AAGL exists for this very reason – to provide opportunities for MIGS education, mentorship, global outreach and awareness with the ultimate goal of improving women’s health. Our board recently met to define our strategic plan and developed the following ways for you to give back. We are committed to using resources to support these four areas, our pillars, and the reasons for why you donate:
- Education – supporting education for residents, fellows, lifelong learners and to provide scientific achievement awards.
- Mentorship – providing mentorship awards, showing gratitude to our “difference makers” by honoring your mentor, developing buddy programs and programs offering mentorship to physicians in training.
- Global Outreach – provide training and assistance to underserved communities, developing a medical mission trips program, providing scholarships to fund underserved communities to attend AAGL Congress and fostering international relations.
- Awareness – supporting patient advocacy groups, developing patient focused MIGS awareness and creating awareness of MIGS through fundraising.
The Foundation is a team consisting of board and staff. We acknowledge and appreciate our donor’s philanthropy and all other contributions. We are also committed to fiscal responsibility in the oversight of our mission. The members of the Foundation Board of Directors share a passion for giving back and to be optimistic about the future.
In 2021, the foundation provided $300,000 of educational grants to the FMIGS programs for training, research, salaries, benefits, and other costs to run a fellowship program. In addition, through your generosity, we provided the following nineteen awards at the 2021 AAGL Congress:
- Honorary Resident Member – who was nominated for bringing hard work, perseverance, perfectionism, calm, humor, and humility to her practice regardless of the setting.
- Female Leader – who was nominated for her nurturing, enthusiastic, responsive and approachable mentoring of many medical students, residents and fellows.
- Underdeveloped Country – a surgeon nominated from Mexico who is an advocate and source of hope in a community with limited access to MIGS.
- Mentor – a nominated legend who is not only a gifted surgeon but is a passionate, kind and dedicated teacher. Through his career he has mentored over 500 gynecologic surgeons.
- Teachers – recognized five decades of innovative surgeons instrumental in the advancement of MIGS.
- Scientific Achievements – recognized nine leaders (residents, fellows and practicing physicians) for their “best of the best” papers and videos.
We have come a long way and are excited to do even more! We believe in the power of our members, industry and supporters coming together to tackle the world’s health challenges. Change is possible through collective generosity and working collaboratively. The Foundation Board of Directors understand that choosing where and how to give is personal – each of us wants to have an impact on the issues important to us and the world. Our expert team will work with grantees and donors around the world to explore new ideas and champion innovative initiatives.
If you are considering donating to the Foundation of the AAGL and have any questions about donating, establishing an endowment, making a bequest or other planned giving, please contact email@example.com for more information. We are extremely proud of the work we have accomplished in this past year and are excited to see what the future holds!
Together, and with all of you, our donors, and supporters, we will continue to make a difference by empowering progress in MIGS worldwide.